11.22.2013

Mountain Country

It happened. Preston and I have season passes, for the first time.. since high school!
Guys, God is good, and so is snow.

Yesterday was our first day back on the mountain. Snowboarding is always like riding a bike for me, except I hardly get nervous to jump back onto a bike than I do to strap my feet back into my bindings, but the nerves are always followed by sheer content as I realize I haven't forgot how to carve and won't have to plow down the whole run (:
For Christmas last year I got Preston and I a couple day passes for Brighton, so last year was the first time I had ever experienced all that Brighton has to offer, in the daylight (we frequented their night riding in high school, it's the best in around). I discovered as Preston already knew, that the 'back country riding' (which to me is any riding we do that is not on a groomed path) was magical! This kind of riding is the most exhausting but most rewarding to me and the day we tried it out at Brighton the trees looked 1000 feet tall and glittery snow was sailing down with every small wave of wind. Amazing.
Now, the snow is still fresh right now and back country was a little less magical and a little more iffy due to the yet-to-be-covered trees and rocks, but give mother nature a week or two more and my only worries will be dodging full-on trees and not so much the underlying jagged rocks and branches of death.

       

Goodness gracious, I had the greatest realization of what having a season pass really means.. for Preston, it means unlimited riding any day of the week, whenever we can! But for me, for me it means that I-don't-have-to-worry-about-getting-my-moneys-worth-from-one-expensive-day-pass, so if my legs become jello and are on the verge of giving in, I can sport a clear conscience at the end of the day about my decision to sit in the lodge to read or in the car to catch a cat-nap while Presto finishes up the last few runs. jooooooy.

You're absolutely welcome!
Thank you Nic and Shayla for inspiring us to get passes this year (:

PS. Other grand happenings this week:
Monday, after a delicious weekly homemade meal by our landlords (my grandparents) our friend Kyle invited us to go climbing at The Quarry (they have a good deal for families on Monday nights) which I had not done in so long!! We mostly boldered since that is our favorite thing to do at the climbing gym and it was good.. but slightly frustrating for me!! I am always frustrated when I am out of practice and not accomplishing what I did before. Good thing Preston is always with out fail Mr. Positive and pretty much told me to relax and have a good time regardless of what I could/could not do.. umph.. (:
Tuesday we got to have two wonderful friends, Elliot and Tizzy over for a delicious healthy dinner. I feel that I am going to become a master of disguising vegetables thanks to our sweet friend, miss picky-pants (:(:(: (I am getting good practice cooking for the picky kids Preston and I refuse to have :P). Afterward we went bowling and just had the greatest time. 
Wednesday was Wonderful! Wonderful Wednesday! Now, I am making an couple little mental notes with this little week update: a) I probably need to post more regularly to avoid crunching all this information into one post b) documentation, documentation, documentation! I have no photos from these past great nights, and I am a photo loving fool! Ughh!
Anyway, I'll work on that. Back to Wonderful Wednesday! 
Both my parents have birthdays coming up, mother on the 24th of November and father on the 2nd of December. Preston and I very successfully surprised them with an early-birthday-date-night venture to see the Trans Siberian Orchestra at the ESA! Guys, this was the best because I don't know about anyone else out there but dads, DADS are the hardest to surprise/gift! At least, thats how I feel about my sweet dad. But man, he was so surprised and excited, it was the best reaction I have ever witnessed, and that was just the beginning of a completely perfect night.
Ok, I do have at least one picture to show for! TSO was amazing. The Tillotsons and Smiths are huge, Christmas music fans (Dad has a Christmas playlist housing something like 500 songs) and this is Christmas music on straight rock-steriods! It's rock and roll meets a heart felt Christmas message (I did tear up at one or two points in the show, but I am an emotional bomb with the likes of The Lion King, so…), I think it's safe to say Trans Siberian Orchestra has become a Pre-Christmas tradition! 
Wrapping things up..
From Brighton resort we headed into Salt Lake, did a spiffy clean up/clothing change in the City Creek Harmons bathroom (has anyone been to that Harmons? It is, dare I say it, the most beautiful grocery store I have ever seen!) and headed out west to Grantsville, Utah. No sir, I definitely had never heard of Grantsville let alone known there was anything that side of the Great Salt Lake. What took us out there was a yummy dinner and an awesome visit with a wonderful couple, Kamilla and Richard and their sweet baby boy Dakota. These guys are the coolest and are pretty much living examples of the kind of parents and people Preston and I want to be! Also, we are now fans of Grantsville/the whole small town feel. 
Also, also, we are now itching for a puppy, a baby, and a house (geeshe, thanks guys)! 








3 comments:

  1. So I saw your pic on insta and tried to go to your old blog address, and was way sad when it wasn't there! Then I found this on your insta! And thanks, you are tooooo kind! seriously this just made my day! You will have to come see more of Grantsville :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, I need to make sure and post our new url next time! prestonandamandasmith was just waaaay too long haha.
      I am so happy this made your day, we had the greatest time hanging out with you! Seriously. We would really love to come out and visit your little fam again, and get to see ol' Grantsville in the light! We'll have to look at coming out one Saturday afternoon or something (:

      Delete
  2. do depressed i didnt get a pass there this year :( !!! i went up last week and it was so much fun!

    ReplyDelete