4.07.2013

Part three: Some rain, some river, some birthday fun

Amanda - again:

Day two, Friday, I awoke early. I pulled myself out of the comfy bed Chloe and I got to share and went out into the lobby for an oatmeal breakfast and some soothing sounds of rain. It rained and poured on and off for a couple of hours, and by the time Presto and the boys made it over it had quit and the day looked lovely and inviting. 

We broke off into smaller groups in search for lunch. Preston, Jenna, Zack and myself ended up going to my all time favorite cafe in Yangshuo, Kelly's. I had discovered Kelly's last time I was in Yangshuo and fell in love instantly. Kelly serves a variety of delicious western dishes, along with some traditional Chinese meals but lets face it, you can't turn down a tempting burger or sandwich when you eat Chinese every single day in real life.. 

I ordered exactly what I did the first time I was there, a double veggie burger with CHEESE (so rare) and fries. I must have talked it up good because Preston and Jenna ordered the same thing. 
Kelly's
"The Best Veggie Burger"
AND this is how much I love it
Our bellies were completely stuffed, so naturally Jenna and I ran off to order mango smoothies before meeting up with the rest of our group. I don't have a picture, but imagine a smoothie that ingredients include a couple of juicy ripe mangoes and ice, blended up to a silky smooth perfection. So worth the end result: a bellyache!

For Fridays venture we headed down to the Li river and hopped on a couple of rafts for a relaxing river excursion. Half way through our boat drivers stopped us at a little island for some photo ops. 

Preston, Me, Konner, Chloe, Brent, Zack, Jenna, Kasey, Courtney, Lexi
A more natural group photo 
Feeties 
A little snapshot by KonKon
Rafting was a lovely time.

Upon returning to West Street, Preston and I parted ways from the group and went on a little walk to the outskirts of town
Preston and his photography skills always amaze me.
Follow this boys gramming, he is an insta-King
[prestonjames100]
Photo bomb pro ^^

insta-courtesy of preston james
the one and only
insta-courtesy of preston james
courtesy of preston james via nikon d3000
We wandered back to the girls hostel around 6:30 to get ready for a little surprise dumpling making party to celebrate Lexi's 19th birthday! Our hostel staff consisted of the sweetest people ever, when they learned that it was Lexi's birthday they offered to teach us to make dumplings and also helped us find a bakery we could get a little cake from. Once everyone was at the hostel we brought out the cake and the group plus our new friends Jian and Helen (Jian is the manager of Green Forest and Helen is one of the cutest staff members) sung happy birthday then got to dumpling making! 
Jian and Helen singing Happy Birthday in Chinese
Lex being a sport and blowing out the 'candles' (strawberry flavored pocky's)
Delicious dumplings for all! We should have kept track of how many we ate, I have never been so full/satisfied in my whole entire life. 
The evening ended with ice-cream (which has become a daily necessity for me in China) and another walk around West Street. 

Another great day.









1 comment:

  1. All of these pictures are awesome! It looks such such an amazing time. You and your husband are so cute! I may have to go on an adventure like this some day. It looks too good.

    ReplyDelete